Regarding the ways of measuring time throughout the ages, the first article shone a ray of light on the Egyptians, who in turn made sundials to interpret time using said light. Just kidding. However, their sundial and astronomy advancements were nothing to scoff at, as it resulted in our 24-hour, two parts 12-hour day. They struggled with the boundaries of these realms due to their dependence on sunrise/sunset, which resulted in complications in defining hour lengths. Personally, I can relate. During the summer when I was spending hours on a game, but I had a very consistent daily routine. The day was basically defined by four periods of play (well, free time in general), and so I split the day according to the following structure (red = game time - I will admit, the summer was not particularly productive):
On the scope of the year, there were some theories in the second article where the year had 360 days, which was a multiple of 60. Of course, this was also dismissed due to the author being "certain" that the Sumerians knew the year was longer than 360 days. For me though, while I still abide by the 365 day Gregorian calendar, most of how I geometrize the year is from my seasonal anime watching hobby. Instead of the seasonal splits halfway through four of the months, I could tell when a season was ending or starting. My "currently watching" list updates reflected this - adding shows meant a season was starting, and vice versa. However, there are very few commonalities except for within the specific season and year, so my structure ends up being an endless arrow of time, divided into 3-month segments titled by their season and year and defined by the shows that I watched:
To address the surprise part: I was mainly surprised at the ingenuity of the ancient peoples, especially with the ancient Egyptians. I have to credit them for giving me the 12/24-hour splitting of the day that allowed my own geometry to flourish, and for their creativity in using the stars to get to that point. However, I can safely say that the point of no return for me was the 14th century when all the 12/24 and 60 minute/second splits were well-established, and the clock as we know it was born. I do not wish to use the stars or a sundial since clocks are far easier, though if I ever find myself stuck in the wilderness, I'll know where to turn to: a long stick and the sun, or the cosmos above without the light pollution of the cities.
----------
The anime in the last picture were chosen based on their relative popularity and/or my own preferences. However, I have watched all of them when they were airing. For the curious, their names are:
Fall 2022: Bocchi the Rock! / Blue Lock
Winter 2023: Bleach: Thousand Year Blood War / Vinland Saga Season 2
Spring 2023: Hell's Paradise / Mashle
Summer 2023: Jujutsu Kaisen Season 2 / Zom 100
Fall 2023: Frieren: Beyond Journey's End / Spy X Family Season 2
Winter 2024: A Sign of Affection / Solo Levelling
Spring 2024: Kaiju No. 8 / Wind Breaker
Summer 2024: Oshi No Ko Season 2 / Alya Sometimes Hides Her Feelings in Russian
Be mindful that some are sequel seasons, so you may have to watch whatever came before first.
Excellent reflection, Carson! I enjoy reading your thought process. I love how you geometrize the year based on your seasonal anime watching! Both schools I've taught at have active anime clubs. I also know many of the grade 9s I teach now play (maybe a bit too much) video games. Your hobbies can potentially help you connect with your students!
ReplyDelete